Anxiety is prevalent in our society today and unfortunately it is on the rise. Anxiety is a general term used for a variety of disorders that can cause excessive fear, worry, apprehension and panic about every day and future events. These disorders can affect how someone feels and behaves, and they can manifest real physical symptoms. Mild anxiety is vague and unsettling, while severe anxiety can be extremely debilitating, having a serious impact on daily life.
Conventional medicine does not offer much in way of treating the cause, only temporary solutions such as sedatives and anti-depressants. Unfortunately these come with their own list of negative side effects and are not advisable to be used long term.
Therefore it is good to know that there are some natural ways to set about uncovering the true cause of anxiety and working to reduce anxiety naturally and safely.
Anxiety can stem from a number of factors:
- Past traumas
- Poor gut function
- Food sensitivities (i.e. Wheat)
- Biochemical imbalances
- Emotional issues
- Low self esteem
- Habitual thinking & unhelpful belief systems
- External / Environmental Triggers and Stressors
- Biochemical imbalances
- Hormonal imbalances
- Sleep problems
So as in any good healing plan it’s important to first identify where the anxiety is most likely coming from and start addressing it at this level. In the meantime we can also provide support to assist with the ‘here and now’ (acute) feelings of anxiety, stress and panic.
Working together with my clients we create a treatment plan that addresses acute and chronic anxiety with a range of natural strategies that address both the psychological and physiological factors.
Natural solutions to Acute Anxiety:
- Nutritional Neurotransmitter Co-factors – such as Magnesium, B6, B12, Zinc +
- Dietary adjustments – removing anxiety trigger foods i.e. caffeine / increasing calming foods
- Herbal anxiolytic support – these are herbs that naturally promote a state of peace and calm and help to reduce anxiety – such as Kava, Valerian, Passionflower, Zizyphus and more
- If depression is involved we have nutrients and herbs we can use specifically to assist here as well.
- Mindfulness Techniques – See our Mindfulness Resource page for more info
- Breathing Techniques
- Flower essences – i.e. Rescue Remedy
While we are treating the acute symptoms we also need to ensure we are working on the underlying causes. There are many ways to achieve this, therefore it’s about finding the right tools for you, where you feel safe, comfortable and supported in your journey to true wholeness.
Some great strategies to assist Chronic Anxiety:
- Daily Mindfulness Practice
- Specific cognitive behavioral therapy to provide tools to address emotional distress, anxiety and feelings of low self-esteem.
- Somatic Experiencing to assist with resolving past trauma
- Addressing gut issues (there are more neurons in our gut then there are in our brain, if our gut is not functioning correctly then our nervous system will suffer)
- Addressing long term nutritional deficiencies
- Balancing neurotransmitters naturally
- Hormonal testing and treatment protocol to balance hormones
- Reducing external stressors
- Learning to set boundaries – being able to say NO to others and value yourself
- Building self esteem
- Dietary & Exercise changes – removing trigger foods, creating a gentle exercise program to increase endorphins like serotonin.
If you are experiencing anything we have just described we’d love to sit down and work through these possible causes with you. Together in a safe environment we can help you identify the real causes of your anxiety. This way you can begin to create real, lasting change that will lead to the joyful, fulfilling life you were created to live.
We will also provide nutritional and herbal support to assist in reducing anxiety in the short term and promote a natural state of calm. Change is possible, so never, ever give up. There is hope and you can start your journey today!
“The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.” – Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 – 531BC)
- Anxiety House – Hawthorne – Clinical Psychologists trained and specializing in anxiety and OCD conditions. This is important because when your dealing with something as specific as anxiety you want to make sure the person you are working with is constantly staying up to date with the new developments, techniques and strategies in that area and makes that their passion and expertise. Ea Stewart and Emily … from Anxiety house are very warm, friendly and passionate about helping people recover from anxiety.
- Anxiety Helpline – A free help line you can call during work hours to talk to a professional who understands anxiety and can listen and offer support as well as literature on a number of tools and strategies.
- Mental Health Care Plan – In Queensland, Australia you can make an appointment with your GP and ask to receive the Mental Health Care plan which will subsides up to 10 visits with a registered psychologist. The average rate of a visit is $200, after the subsidy it can come down to $65, which can be a great help.
For more info please give us a call at the clinic on 0416 775 530 or use the book now button below online to make your appointment.