Frequently Asked Questions
What is naturopathy?
Naturopathy combines modern science with ancient wisdom of natural therapies to provide you with research based, natural solutions to the symptoms or conditions you may be facing.
As a naturopathic practitioner I will listen to you thoroughly, take an assessment of your case history, recent test results, current medications and from here create a treatment plan specifically for you as an individual using nutritional and herbal and naturopathic medicine.
Your body naturally wants to heal itself. Given the right tools its very effective at healing. However in today’s society with the diets we eat and the stress we live under we often neglect to give our bodies the fuel and tools it needs to regenerate. It’s like putting coke in oil tank of a Mercedes and wondering why such a beautiful car is not running correctly.
Naturopathic medicine is common sense. Unlike the common medical approach we do not supply a ‘pill for every ill’ but rather address the root cause of a problem to ensure we can affect lasting change without the nasty side effects of most prescription medication.
What kind of conditions can you help with?
Natural therapies can assist with almost any acute or chronic condition. If you consider how you got into your current state of health – it is usually not a lack of drugs or surgery that go you there – it is likely to be due to a chronic nutrient, diet or lifestyle imbalance that progressed into functional change and eventually structural change such as dis-ease.
This is why assisting the body by supplying it with the vitamins, minerals and natural nutrient building blocks it needs to heal and rebuild can assist a wide range of conditions such as:
- Gastrointestinal conditions incl – Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, GORD, Reflux, heartburn, Celiac disease, hernias, bloating, pain, constipation, diarrhoea, parasitic infections, Candida +
- Food Intolerances Hormonal Imbalances: PMS, mood swings, heavy periods, painful periods, infertility, low libido, cysts, PCOS, menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes, night sweats, mood changes, weight gain
- For males: Low testosterone or high oestrogen Autoimmune diseases: Lymes, MS, lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto, Graves, Lichen Sclerosis Skin conditions (incl. eczema, psoriasis, lichen sclerosis, acne, itchy dry skin, dandruff +) Arthritis – osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout Cardiovascular conditions (incl. high BP & cholesterol +) Muscle, joint issues Chronic infections Lowered Immunity Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Thyroid conditions (Incl. sub-clinical hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's, goitre, Graves disease) Mood Disorders including depression, anxiety, bi-polar, ADHD, autism, Aspergers, dementia + Common children ailments (ear infections, eczema, tonsillitis +) Acute conditions Chronic pain conditions PMS & Menopausal symptoms Weight loss
What type of testing do you conduct?
- SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) Breath Testing
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis
- Live Blood Analysis
- Salivary Hormone Profile Tests
- Urine Testing
- Genetic and Epigenetic Testing
- Mauve Factor (for Pyrrole Disorder also know as Kryptopyroles, Pyroluria)
- MTHFR Gene Testing
- Candida & Parasite testing
- Food Sensitivities Testing (IgG)
- Hair Mineral Analysis
- Neurotransmitter Testing (revealing deficiency or excess)
- Urinary testing
- Thyroid testing – including urinary iodine loading test
- Coeliac Testing
- Referral for Blood Testing
- Genetic profile testing
- Heavy metal testing
- Complete Health Check ups
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Iridology Analysis
- Nail, tongue and face diagnosis
- pH testing
- Genetic testing
- Functional liver detox profiles
What type of treatments do you use?
- Naturopathic treatment protocols to address the root cause of your symptoms
- Nutritional dietary plans to address imbalances
- Nutritional supplementation
- Mineral therapy to address a wide range of conditions
- (SIBO) Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Treatment Plans
- Creating Personalised Herbal Formulas and skin creams
- Bach flower remedies to assist with emotional distress
- Homeopathic remedies, very popular with children, elderly and those on many medications as they are very safe to use and combine with medication.
- Detox protocols
- Heavy metal chelation therapy
- Emotional and neurotransmitter balancing
- SIBO anti-microbial treatments
- Hormonal Balancing
- Anti-candida and anti-parasitic treatments
- Gut healing protocols
- FODMAP diet plans
- Paleo diet plans
- Diet plans for specific food sensitivities ie wheat, dairy, fructose, yeast, egg
How often do I need to come?
This can vary as it is dependent on a number of factors such as; how acute your symptoms or condition is, what type of treatment is prescribed and how often you need to be monitored during treatment, if tests results arrive and we need to discuss these etc. So we do not have a set time frame, we assess it on an individual bases so that it suits your needs.
As a rule of thumb we will see you for your initial 1 hour consultation, then a week later for your follow up consultation with your completed treatment plan showing your short and long term goals. From there it maybe anywhere from 2 – 4 weekly visits during your acute phase of treatment then once on a maintenance program we recommend every 3 – 6 months coming in for a check up and a chance to adjust treatment as necessary to maintain your health. A good way to think of it is, just as you’d pop your car in for a service every 3 – 6 months, we believe it’s important to at least do the same for our precious body. A car can be upgraded. Our bodies cannot.
How long is treatment for?
We normally set out short-term goals for the more acute issues which we aim to address and reassess within 3 months.
For the longer standing, chronic issues we set long-term goals. These can range anywhere from 3 – 12 months.
The rule of thumb is 1 month of treatment for every 1 year you have had a condition. If you consider you may have spend 10 years building a certain condition/disease in your body to what it is today, it may not be realistic to think it will improve in 2 weeks. True, lasting healing takes time, however improvement and recovery does happen and you will be thankful you persisted!
What do I need to bring to my appointment?
Please bring with you:
- Recent test results you may have completed (ie. Blood tests, ultra sounds, xrays, colonoscopy/endoscopy reports, hair mineral / urine / stool analysis etc.)
- List of current medications
- List of current supplements
Can I see you if I am currently under other medical treatment?
Yes. The wonderful thing about natural therapies is that, when prescribed correctly by a qualified practitioner, they provide a safe and complementary adjunct to conventional medicine, which can in fact act synergistically to enhance the effectiveness of your current treatment.
We will check to ensure there are no contraindication between the herbal or nutritional medicine we prescribe and your current medication. Which is why we ask you to list all medication you are currently taking. We are also happy to communicate with your GP or specialist during treatment.
What should I expect in my appointment?
In your first appointment: We will take a very thorough case history to begin with. This is important to build up a picture of why your health is the way it is today and helping to identify possible underlying causes so we can address the condition at the root cause. We will take a daily diet recall to give us an idea of current nutritional status and assess physical signs and symptoms, which may be present. We will review any recent test results you have brought with you and most importantly we will listen to you and your needs and ensure you are 100% satisfied with your treatment protocol.
You may be given a referral in this first appointment for additional testing which will help us further assess the best treatment protocol for you.
In your second appointment: We will present your personal Naturopathic Treatment Plan at your second appointment after we have thoroughly reviewed your case history, recent test results, current medications and supplements, food sensitivities, dietary requirements and any other information you have supplied us. This plan will outline Short Term Goals (3 months) and Long Term Goals (3 – 12mths), as well as symptomatic relief, if necessary. At this appointment you may be prescribed nutritional or herbal supplements, which may be specially prepared for you during the consult, as well as dietary advice and meal suggestions.
In subsequent appointments: From here we will check back with you in regular consultations to ensure treatment is progressing well, to address any other symptoms or concerns, monitor treatment and adjust it as we progress. Once your initial health goals have been achieve and the underlying causative factors addressed you will be placed on a maintenance program which will consist of bi-yearly check ups to maintain the good health you have now achieved! From time to time we may do further testing to monitor progress and act preventatively to avoid additional conditions developing. This is true preventative medicine.
For more information or to book a consultation with Angela Busby N.D. please call 0416-775-530 or book online by clicking the button below.