Turmeric Golden Paste
A natural anti-inflammatory paste you can make very easily at home!
1/2 cup (125 mls/60gms) turmeric powder
1 cup water (250 mls) plus extra water if needed
1/4 cup (70 mls) cold pressed coconut oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (3gms)
1. Place turmeric and water in pan, stir over gentle heat until you have a thick paste. This should take about 7-10 minutes. If you feel your paste is too watery, add some more turmeric powder, if it is too thick simply add a little more water.
2. Add the freshly ground pepper and oil AT THE END of cooking. Stir well (a whisk is ideal) to evenly disperse the oil and allow to cool.
The golden paste will last in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It can also be frozen in smaller containers to be defrosted and used as needed.
- Golden Paste is so versatile - you can take a tablespoon daily on it's own, if you don't like the flavour that much you can simply add a tablespoon to smoothies, curries, yogurt or make golden milk (a mix of the golden paste & a healthy milk or milk substitute such as coconut milk - this one is really delicious! A great substitute for a hot chocolate when you add a little honey to sweeten and any extra spices you like (i.e. cinnamon, ginger +) kids love it too!)
- If you don't think you'll use it all in the 2 weeks you can freeze some and defrost when needed.
- Adding healthy fats such as the cold pressed coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil helps increase the absorption of turmeric in the body.
- Adding the ground pepper creates even greater absorption and utilisation of turmeric in the body. If you can't tolerate the spice or taste of the pepper you can leave this out and you will still get absorption with the oil.
- Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, anti-platelet, antioxidant, lowers unhealthy cholesterol & fats in the body (hypolipidaemic) and increases the production of bile from the liver (choleretic).
- Coconut Oil is a great healthy fat to include in the diet, it is antiviral, antibacterial and assists immunity, as well as assisting the uptake of turmeric into the body.